logo

Making More Ladder Golf Sets for #MVPSchool PE

  • 2016-02-01 13.08.06
  • Practicing our new tool - the measuring tape.
  • Practicing our new tool - the measuring tape.
  • Practicing our new tool - the measuring tape.
  • Laying out our first cutlines.
  • Trying on our personal protective equipment for the first time.
  • Trying on our personal protective equipment for the first time.
  • Looking safe, and cute :-)
  • Measure twice. Cut once.
  • "I'm wearing my tape measure just like Mr. Tiffin."
  • Assembly begins on this class's first ladderball stand.
  • Assembly begins on this class's first ladderball stand.
  • Assembly begins on this class's first ladder golf stand.
  • Almost finished...
  • Finished!
  • One done!
  • 2016-02-03 13.52.51
  • Getting everything lined up and secure before the cut.
  • Getting everything lined up and secure before the cut.
  • Assembly begins on the next set.
  • Assembly begins on the next set.
  • Assembly begins on the next set.
  • Building it on the table proved to be not such a great idea. #failup
  • Re-assembling the stand on the floor.
  • Demonstrating how much material the blade removes.
  • Trying to talk with ear protection on is tough.
  • The project manager keeps track of the parts we've cut.
  • The project manager keeps track of the parts we've cut.
  • The project manager keeps track of the parts we've cut.
  • More assembly work.
  • Moving the stands into the Platform room of Studio(i).
  • A total of 3 sets have been built for MVPS PE!

Project Description

After the previous group of second graders blazed the trail for this project, a new group of students stepped in to continue working toward our goal of 8 to 10 ladder golf sets. As an added benefit, these students had physical examples to look at rather than just pictures on the screen.

The students quickly picked up on the methods for using the tape measure and the unspoken communication language we developed for when we were wearing our hearing protection.

Additionally, the students seemed to organize themselves very well. Normally when I allow the students to organize, it is a set up for a reflection at the end of class as to how well they did or didn’t work together. Adjustments are made for the next day of class and then another reflection is held at the end of the day to ask if their adjustments had the intended outcomes. This class hit their stride immediately and based on their reflections, they didn’t see a need to make any adjustments. I didn’t see a need either!

They created a project manager role that kept track of the pieces we made. They made a system for taking turns with the tools. They knew how many groups they wanted to have so that everyone had something to do – which actually became a really cool math problem for determining how many pieces they would need before they’d stop and assembly the stands. They did all the calculations themselves by the way, while I captured their thinking on the screen.

As a testament to their efficiency, they were able to build five stands in their week while the previous class made two. Their were obvious conditions that were different for the two classes that both hindered and helped them, but it will be an interesting reflection on class organization for the near future.

Project Details

Client

Second Grade

Related Portfolios